Miracle Case Decision: Motions to Retain Venue and Bond GRANTED

We are SOOO elated that our client was released on bond from Krome today! Under the Trump Administration, we have to FIGHT even more ZEALOUSLY for our clients’ rights than ever before! First, we had to fight to get our client moved back to Krome, and second, we had to advocate that he be released on bond. We won BOTH fights, praise God!

 alicianr67_4 (1)

Let me tell you about the obstacles we had to deal with in this  client’s case and how we overcame them. Our office had already filed a Motion for Bond for client, when days before his bond hearing 2 weeks ago, ICE randomly moved our client 6.5 hours north to a detentioncenter in Baker County, FL! We were outraged when the judge said he couldn’t decide his bond case while he was at Baker County, because it was in the Orlando Court jurisdiction. His entire family, home and attorney (me) was located in Miami, and it was so inefficient and obstructive to move my client. ICE was the one who moved him for no reason, yet the ICE government attorney filed a motion to move his case to the Orlando Court, which would require me to travel to Orlando to represent him or else spend a lot more time and money drafting a request to represent him by telephone to the Court.

I filed a Motion to Retain Venue at Krome and Opposing DHS’s Motion to Change Venue to Orlando. I also reached out to the media, and an NBC Producer was working with me and the client’s family to schedule interviews for a news story on NBC Channel 6.

Further, I called the Krome Court Administrator and the ICE Assistant Field Office Director, and I let them both know that my client needed to be moved back to Krome immediately and that the NBC reporter would be contacting them shortly.

The very next day, my client was moved back to Krome! I don’t think it was a coincidence that he was moved so quickly after they learned of the NBC news story. But we will do whatever it takes to protect our clients and their rights!

At the bond hearing Monday, the government attorney and even the judge tried to focus on his previous arrests – which did NOT result in convictions – and the fact that he had not yet married his USC girlfriend. Because he is a DACA recipient and was pending a renewal, and you cannot file to renew DACA while you are detained, the judge said my client wasn’t eligible for any relief from deportation right now. Which was all true. But I KEPT FIGHTING and reminding the judge of his family in the US, his eligibility to obtain a green card as soon as he married his fiancee. I reiterated that his previous arrests are NOT convictions and his current pending convictions are not convictions either. In short, I ADVOCATED for my client, also pointing out to the judge that sick of his family members came to the court that morning to show their support. In the end, the judge decided to Grant my client a bond for $7,500.00, which is a great bond price considering his pending criminal cases and the fact that he hasn’t yet married his USC girlfriend. JUSTICE prevails!!!

There are fewer things more rewarding than getting a deserving client out of detention and reuniting them with their families! To hear his mother’s ecstatic voice when she heard he  got bond made my heart melt. I am looking forward to helping this client obtain his green card next, after he married his USC girlfriend and representing him in court through the process.

I know many attorneys who practice more lucrative areas of law like insurance defense or corporate law, but I personally could not imagine practicing another area of law because I am passionate about reuniting my clients with their families and defending their rights. Call me at 305-501-0783 to schedule a consultation to help you or your family member. We want to help YOU achieve your American Dream!

Naturalization Pitfall: Failing to Register for the Selective Service

Men living in the United States, with few exceptions, must register for military Selective Service (otherwise known as the “draft”). This is common knowledge to Americans, but it often surprises foreign nationals, who often learn about this requirement only when they encounter questions about their Selective Service registration status when applying to become naturalized. If you came to the United States under age 26 and did not register during the required time frame, there can be serious consequences in your N400 case.

If you are an American male between ages 18 and 25, you must enroll in the Selective Service. Enrollment must occur within thirty days of the male’s 18th birthday. This requirement, however, also extends to many non-citizens such as lawful permanent residents, refugees, asylees, special agricultural workers, and even undocumented foreign nationals. Note, however, that if you hold this status after your 26th birthday, registering is unnecessary.  Further, there is no registration requirement for males born in certain

Some people are exempt from Selective Service. Specifically, it does not apply to lawful nonimmigrants in a temporary status. Some of these individuals include: tourists, diplomats, H1B workers, J-1 visitors, and those in other “lettered” temporary classifications.

The reason that complying with the Selective Service requirement is so important is that failure to do so will hurt your chances of demonstrating your good moral character to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). To become naturalized, a green card holder must show that he is “a person of good moral character” for five years (or else three years, if you are an applicant who got a green card due to marrying an American citizen). If you do not comply with this requirement, your application can be denied because you have failed to demonstrate good moral character during the requisite period.

This isn’t theoretical, either. If one knowingly and willfully fails to register for Selective Service, his application for naturalization will be automatically denied if he is 30 or younger. From age 31 and on, more than five years would have passed since his failure to register occurred. Therefore, on its own, it would not be enough to deny his naturalization application. If you are in the first category, you can present evidence that it was not done willfully and knowingly. However, there are certain evidences that USCIS expects to see to make this determination.  You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney if you failed to register but did not do so willfully and knowingly.

The selective service requirement is only one of the many rules considered when determining if a lawful permanent resident is a good candidate for naturalization. Therefore, anyone considering naturalization should consult an experienced immigration lawyer before filing. This will help you to avoid common pitfalls that can hinder or completely derail your chance of becoming a U.S. citizen.

Immigration Lawyers USA, LLC has extensive experience dealing with naturalization cases and can guide you in your naturalization matter.

Little Known Visa a Great Option for Many Would-be H-1B Candidates

Many people apply for a B-1 visa when they seek to come to the United States for temporary, business-related activities such as attending academic or professional conferences.  B-1 visa holders are prohibited from engaging in “productive work,” defined as services that benefit an employer. However, the B-1 visa is very discretionary, and when a person is applying to work closely with a U.S. colleague or company, several of these visa applicants are advised by the Consulate to apply instead of an H1-B visa.  On the other hand, the H1-B visa is a very sought-after visa that typically reaches the cap only days after applications are accepted on April 1st of each year.  So many people apply, in fact, that there is something known as the H-1B lottery. Last year, 148,000 were not selected, so you can understand how many people apply each year. However, there is a little-known visa option that many people, even attorneys, often overlook: the “B-1 in Lieu of H-1B visa.”

In the Foreign Affairs Manual, the “B-1 in lieu of H-1B visa” is a hybrid visa that seems to be carved out for persons who could possibly qualify for a traditional H-1B visa but would more appropriately be termed a B-1 visa applicant. These individuals are generally interested in visiting the United States in order to temporarily perform professional duties which are related to their employment overseas. These people are not intending to enter the United States labor market, nor will they be on the payroll of a U.S. employer.

The American market is increasingly relying on foreign talent as businesses become more complex and globalized and involve more international aspects.  Thus, the B-1 in lieu of H-1B can be an attractive option for many foreigners. In order to apply for this, the applicant may submit the visa application online and later bring the evidence in person to their home Consulate or Embassy. It is unnecessary to file with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.

Of course, an applicant must meet certain conditions in order to qualify for the B-1 in lieu of H-1B:

1. They must have a bachelor’s degree (at least) or equivalent experience.

2. The work performed in the United States must be professional work which requires at least a bachelor’s degree to perform.

3. The term of employment needs to be for a shorter amount of time—ideally, fewer than six months.

4. They must be already employed by the foreign entity of the U.S affiliate. Again, the foreign individual must be getting paid by his foreign employer. No remuneration can come from a United States source. However, this does not apply to expense allowances or other expenses related to travel.

5. Finally, the employee must overcome a presumption of immigrant intent. He or she must show that their proposed work is of a temporary nature. In addition, he or she must demonstrate intent to return to his or her home country when the work has been completed.

If you believe that you or your loved one is a strong candidate for the B-1 in Lieu of H-1B visa, contact me to schedule a consultation.

Supreme Court Ruling on Same­-Sex Marriage Big News for Immigrant Couples

On June 26, 2015, the federal Supreme Court struck down section three of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), wherein same­-sex couples were denied the rights and protections opposite couples were  provided. The historic United States v. Windsor Supreme Court case ruling means big changes for same­-sex immigrant couples who wish to receive access to these beneficial provisions.

Under the new law, immigration authorities must treat same-­sex immigrants the same as opposite­-sex couples, which means US citizens who wish to invite their same-­sex partner to the United States with a verified marriage visa now have the opportunity to do so. Of course, couples will still be required to prove that their relationship is legitimate, by providing documentation that evidences that the couple lives together, has commingled their financial assets and is building a life together.

Additionally, couples who reside outside of the United States, and enjoy the legal blessing of any of the 17 countries where same=­sex marriage is now legal, can now apply for a fiancé visa with the US. The individual who is a citizen of a foreign nation can now come to the US with the visa if they can provide evidence they plan to marry their partner within 90 days of arriving in the United States.

In accordance with this new same-­sex marriage law, immigrants can also enjoy a host of insurance, banking and investment opportunities that they were once denied. These benefits include:

• Life Insurance benefits for same­-sex married couples and their children;

• Family insurance discounts and plans for dental and health insurance for same-­sex

married couples and their children; and

• Retirement benefits for same­-sex married couples.

As a result, same­-sex couples can more easily obtain documents that prove that their relationship is bona fide and not only for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. This historic ruling is undoubtedly the biggest news same-­sex immigrant couples have received in a long while.

Call Immigration Lawyers USA, LLC at 305-501-0783 for your immigration matters.